I assume if you read my blog that you are a crafter in some respect. Tonight I want to talk about sewing machines. This machine is my industrial straight stitch sewing machine. It is a Singer 591 D200A. It only sews forward and backward, no zig zag.
You are probably wondering why industrial machines are superior to home sewing machines. In my opinion, and for the type of sewing I do, here are my reasons:
1) Efficiency: they sew very high quality stitches 99% of the time. The other 1% is because I did something wrong. I will not spend time fixing mistakes that the machine made.
2) Reliability: the machine doesn’t break unless I do something stupid. It doesn’t “act up” or produce sub-quality stitches on certain fabrics. Every time I sit down at this machine, I will have high-quality stitching, with no straying from the stitch length I set.
3) Strength: the machine can sew through WAY MORE than a home machine, without flinching. I will not be worrying about my needle breaking or the machine jamming because I’m stitching through a nylon zipper, 8 layers of canvas, etc. It might skip one stitch, but it will keep sewing and have generally perfect stitching through any combination of fabrics.
I love sewing on my industrial because it is strong, heavy, and it has a built in bobbin winder that makes bobbins while I sew. It makes my product higher quality because it is reliable and strong: it is made to sew for 8-12 hours a day, every day. The needle doesn’t move left and right AT ALL. The presser foot is pushing down with a ton of pressure, but not too much that it damages or warps fabric.
So that is why I love my industrial. Oh, plus the added bonus of feeling super tough while sewing. I feel like I could sew through the world when I sew on this machine.
I sold my walking foot machine, which was even more tough. But a straight stitch machine is still TOUGH. If you have space, I highly recommend industrial machines. Particularly, Singer and Juki made in Japan.
Have you ever sewn on an industrial?